The Broadband Transport Specialist (BTS) course focuses on optical signal distribution in the access and transport network architectures, while continuing to reach closer to a fiber deep deployment strategy in order to meet the customer’s bandwidth demands.
A learner will have the knowledge of fiber optic light theory, optical network troubleshooting, fiber system preventive maintenance, construction, fiber optic components and equipment; and restoration in the access network.
Additionally, the course will explore equipment diagnostic screens for a “real world” feel for the optical equipment that is used to splice, monitor, test and install fiber optic cable and equipment. In addition, the course explores the issues surrounding inside and outside plant safety.
Included in the Course
- Engaging and Interactive LightningMod™ to prepare learner for training
- In-depth interactive eBook modules
- Apply module knowledge with real-life experiences in a simulated environment; 2 NetworkSim® modules included
- Module assessments
- Course final exam
- Fun VirtuGame® to improve absorption and retention of competencies
Requirements for Successful Course Completion
- Module quizzes 70% or higher
- Course final test 70% or higher
You may take the course final test up to 3 times.
Self-paced interactive Online Course: Learners start the SCTE VirtuLearn® course at any time, study at their own pace, and have access to dynamic online content after they register. On average, learners will spend approximately 4 hours per week over 12 weeks completing course activities. SCTE provides access to the course for 1 year from date of purchase.
System Requirements: A high speed Internet (HSI) connection, Internet browser with HTML5 support. For tablet or smartphone access, HTML5 may be used for online eBook content.
Instructor-Led Onsite Boot Camp Course: The SCTE VirtuLearn course may be delivered as an onsite boot camp over 5 days.
Course access information will be emailed when the course is purchased.
- Technical Operations
- Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) or Access Network Technicians
- Outside Plant (OSP) Technicians
- Maintenance Technician, System Technician or equivalent
- Headend or Hub Engineers
Upon completion, learners will be prepared to earn the nationally recognized SCTE Broadband Fiber Transport Specialist (BFTS) certification. The certification is designed for individuals interested in working in the cable telecommunications industry for a cable provider, contractor, or vendor.
Upon Successful Completion
- SCTE course completion certificate
- 5 recertification units (RUs) towards SCTE certification renewal