This interactive course is designed to provide learners with the benefits of working with fiber to the premises (FTTP)/FTTx networks to service cable customers. Learners will be able describe the types of passive optical networks (PON) used by cable operators and differentiate these networks from an HFC and Fiber Deep access network. Learners will identify the installation equipment and customer premises equipment (CPE) needed to support FTTP/FTTx networks, along with preparing fiber, working with multiple wavelengths, contrasting optical measurements and troubleshooting FTTP/FTTx service issues.
Format and Schedule
The course is delivered online via the SCTE virtual classroom, or it may be completed in 2 days (16 hours) as an onsite.
Online learners interact with web-based course materials and complete assessments (quizzes) at a time that is convenient for them. Learners may also contact the instructor when they have questions.
SCTE recommends learners spend approximately 1 - 2 hours per week, on average, completing the various course activities in order to maximize the learning benefits. 100% of the schedule is determined by the learners (interacting with online materials, completing quizzes and a final exam).
Included in the Course
- Engaging and Interactive LightningMod™ to prepare learner for training
- In-depth interactive eBook modules
- Apply eBook knowledge with real life experiences in a simulated environment; 3 NetworkSim® modules included
- Module assessments
- Course final exam
- Fun VirtuGame® to improve absorption and retention of competencies
Requirements for Successful Course Completion
- Module quizzes 70% or higher
- Course final test 70% or higher
You may take the course final test up to 3 times.
- Customer Facing Installers
- Customer Facing Technicians
- Service Technicians
- Customer Service Representatives
- Field Operation Teams
- Network Operation Center and related positions
- SCTE Understanding Cable Technology or equivalent
- SCTE Broadband Premises Installation or equivalent
Upon completion, learners will be prepared to earn the nationally recognized SCTE Broadband Fiber Installer (BFI) certification. The certification is designed for individuals interested in working in the cable telecommunications industry for a cable provider, contractor or vendor.
Upon Successful Completion
- SCTE course completion certificate
- 2 recertification units (RUs) towards SCTE certification renewal