A location risk assessment (LRA) is performed to identify threats that could negatively impact the ability to conduct business in a geographic location. The results of the LRA help to align strategic business decisions with effective risk reduction solutions at a geographic location. The LRA considers all threats whether they are financial, natural, political or human related. The LRA identifies and weighs the risks to business continuity based on a four-step process.
The four steps are:
- Strategic risk assessment
- Tactical risk assessment
- Strategic and tactical risk assessment report
- Project evaluation matrix
The purposes of performing the LRA are to:
- Determine if it is appropriate to do business in a specific geographic location,
- Identify probable threats to the business within the specific geographic location,
- Determine the financial exposure to the company were the probable threats to occur, and
- Determine cost effective solutions to mitigate or minimize the risks.
The location risk assessment applies to all assets of the cable operator business that would impact operations based on locational considerations as well as third party facilities operators are dependent on.
Risks will be minimized by strategic, tactical and location risk assessments.
The scope of this document is to describe the steps necessary to perform a location risk assessment.
Cable operators’ networks provide entertainment, critical communication and information services, which are an integral part of the community they serve. By completing a location risk assessment, cable operators will be able make informed choices for potential location of a business unit and for planning how to mitigate threats that are dependent on location. LRA provides a basis for an informed business continuity plan. Without a proper location risk assessment, recovery times during incidents could be prolonged and thus impact speeds at which the customer can resume use of their services.
Senior management, engineering teams, or others responsible for uptime planning will benefit from reading this document.