The IT Essentials, CompTIA A+, course offers covers the fundamentals of computer and mobile device hardware and software, and advanced concepts such as security, networking, and the responsibilities of an IT professional. Learners who complete this course will be able to describe the internal components of a computer, assemble a computer system, install operating systems, and troubleshoot them using software tools and diagnostics. Learners will also be able to connect to the Internet and share resources in a networked environment. New topics in this version include scripting basics, using remote access technologies, IoT device configuration and communication types, documentation and change management best practices, and also, disaster prevention and recovery methods. Expanded topics include virtualization, cloud computing, and security.
Through hands on activities, active learning, videos and labs, learners assemble and configure a computer, install operating systems and software, and troubleshoot hardware and software problems. This e-course aligns with and helps learners prepare to earn CompTIA's A+ certification. The course includes 7 practice exams to for the CompTIA A+ core1 and core2 certification exams.
Benefits to a Student
- Offers a comprehensive introduction to the IT industry
- Provides a comprehensive introduction to the IT industry and in-depth exposure to personal computers, hardware, and operating systems
- Learn by doing: hands-on activities and labs help students become familiar with how to safely and securely install, configure, maintain, upgrade, and troubleshoot computer systems
- Anytime learning: course text, assignments, quizzes, and discussions are supported on mobile devices
- Immediate feedback on assessment questions helps students monitor progress and reinforces learning
- Helps students prepare for CompTIA A+ certification exams
- Supports development of career skills needed to succeed in entry-level IT jobs
Online, Self-Paced: This course is expected to take 12 weeks to complete online, about 2 to 3 hours per week. As an onsite boot camp, the length is 2 days. Learners view online interactive materials, complete activities and exercises at a time that is convenient for the learner.
Course access information will be emailed when the course is purchased.
- High speed Internet (HSI) connection
- Updated Internet Browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer)
- HTML 5 Support
- Windows 10
- (Optional, but recommended) Lab PC Hardware
- Windows 10 installation DVD
- 1 PC with 300 W power supply
- 1 PCI, PCIe, or AGP compatible motherboard
- 1 GHz or faster CPU w/ support for PAE, NX and SSE2; 1 CPU heat sink & cooling fan
- 2 GB RAM (32 bit) or 4 GB RAM (64 bit)
- 60 GB hard drive (min)
- 1 DVD-ROM; 1 Ethernet Card; 1 Wireless Adapter Card
- 1 PCI, PCIe (recommended), or AGP video card
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
- Cables to connect hard drive or DVD-ROM
- Mouse, Keyboard & Monitor
- (Optional, but recommended) PC Repair Tools (safety glasses, ESD strap, head drivers, wire cutters, needle nose pliers, cable strippers, thermal compound, electronic cleaning solution, compressed air, cable ties, multi-meter
- (Optional, but recommended) Network Equipment (LAN Cable Tester, LAN Coupler, category #5e/6 jumpers (2), network loop back plugs, wireless router/switch, small 4 port switch
- IT Essentials Interactive Online Course Materials
- Software to perform applied networking, windows configuration and wireless security
Included in the Course
- In-depth interactive content modules
- Module assessments, interactive activities, hands-on labs and practice exams for the CompTIA certification
- 2 practice final exams
- 3 course final exams
Requirements for Successful Course Completion
- Chapter Assessments 70% or higher
- Checkpoint Assessment 70% or higher
- Final exam 70% or higher
- Complete Course Feed Back
- Complete Hands-on Skill Labs Assigned by Instructor
You may take an assessment, practice final or final exam in each course up to 2 times
Upon completion of the IT Essentials course, learners will be able to perform the following tasks:
- Select the appropriate computer components to build, repair, or upgrade personal computers.
- Install and configure components to build, repair, or upgrade personal computers.
- Perform troubleshooting on personal computers.
- Explain how computers communicate on a network.
- Configure devices to communicate on a network.
- Explain how to troubleshoot laptops and other mobile devices.
- Install a printer to meet requirements.
- Describe virtualization and cloud computing.
- Install Windows operating systems.
- Perform management and maintenance of Windows operating systems.
- Explain how to configure, secure, and troubleshoot mobile, MacOS, and Linux operating systems.
- Implement basic host, data, and network security.
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of the IT Professional.
- Entry level cable personnel
- Customer Service Representatives
- Broadband Premises Installers and/or Technicians
- Commercial Installers or equivalent
- Broadband Premises Maintenance Technician or equivalent
- Headend Technicians/Engineers
- IT Personnel
This course is designed to assist learners in preparing for the CompTIA Network+ certification exam. CompTIA testing is available through Pearson VUE (vue.com) testing centers and is not part of the SCTE training.
- 220-1001 (Core 1)
- 220-1002 (Core 2)
Upon Successful Completion
- SCTE and Cisco Academy course completion certificates
- 3 recertification units (RUs) towards SCTE certification renewal