Format: Online; 10 Weeks
This course is delivered online over a period of 10 weeks. Participants view pre-recorded, narrated presentations and complete learning activities at any time that is convenient for them. Participants are encouraged to contact the instructor for questions and discussion.
Participants spend approximately 5-10 hours per week, completing the various course activities in order to maximize the learning benefits. A certificate is awarded at the conclusion of the course. Completion of the course evaluation is required in order to receive the certificate.
Participants have access to the online presentations for 10 weeks after receiving access to the course.
The access information will be emailed 24-48 business hours after registration.
System Requirements: A high speed Internet connection (Cable or DSL), Internet Explorer 6.0 or above, and Java.
This course is recommended for both independent cable and MSO technical professionals, including mid- to senior- level video engineer and operations technicians; video onDemand teams, network technology staff, broadband headend engineers and inside plant/field engineers; and network operations center (NOC) engineers.
- Analog and Digital Media Theory
- Introduction to MPEG Compression
- Intermediate MPEG Compression
- Advanced MPEG Compression
- Improved Coding Efficiency
- Troubleshooting MPEG Video
- Encoding and Multiplexing
- IP Based Transmission
- Metadata and Signaling
- RF Signal Modulation, Demodulation, Multiplexing and Processing
- Video Systems
- Digital Video Broadcast
- Home Video Technologies
- Digital AV Testing Monitoring and Fault Isolation
- Video Artifacts and Sources
The course helps participants prepare to earn SCTE's Digital Video Engineering Professional Certification (DVEP) which certifies the knowledge knowledge in the engineering aspects of digital media (which includes video, audio, interactive services, and associated data) systems as deployed in the Cable Telecommunications Industry.
Save $$ when you bundle the course with the certification exam.
Steve Harris, SCTE Sr. Director of Advanced Network Technologies
Requirements for Successful Course Completion
- Completion of Course Feedback Form
- Assessments with a passing grade of 70%
- Final exam with a passing grade of 70%
Upon Successful Course Completion You Will Receive
- SCTE Course Certificate
- College credits when registered with an SCTE college partnership
- 3 Recertification Units (RUs) toward SCTE certification renewal
Cancellations and Extensions
- All cancellation requests must be received by midnight of the 7th day after the course begins and must be in writing or email. All cancellations are subject to a $75 cancellation fee, plus $119 fee for textbook if applicable.
- Students may request a 3-week extension with an extension fee of $70.
- Individuals who fail the course's final test two times will need to request a Retesting Exception and pay the Retesting Fee of $80. The Retesting Fee includes up to a 3 week course extension from the date of the request, allowing learners to prepare and retake the course final an additional two times. The final test must be completed before the course enrollment or extension ends.