Participants view pre-recorded, narrated presentations and complete learning activities at any time that is convenient for them. Participants are encouraged to contact the instructor for questions and discussion.
Participants spend approximately 5-10 hours per week, completing the various course activities in order to maximize the learning benefits.It is recommended to complete this course in 10 weeks. A certificate is awarded at the conclusion of the course. Completion of the course evaluation is required in order to receive the certificate.
The access information will be emailed 24-48 business hours after registration.
System Requirements: A high speed Internet connection (Cable or DSL), Internet Explorer 6.0 or above, and Java.
- Broadband Premises Installers / Technicians or equivalent mid to senior level technicians
- Broadband Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) Technicians or equivalent
- Broadband Outside Plant (OSP) Technicians or equivalent
- Broadband Premises Maintenance Technician or equivalent
- Broadband Headend Technicians, Engineering, Operations and Technical Managers
The course helps participants prepare to earn the SCTE Broadband Transport Specialist (BTS) certification, a nationally recognized certification for individuals interested in working in the cable telecommunications industry for a cable provider or contractor.
Save $$ when you bundle the course with the Broadband Transport Specialist (BTS) certification exam:
The Broadband Transport Specialist Certification certifies proficiency in the transport of signals, including aspects of the network from the headend to the hub and from the hub to the optical node.
- History of Fiber
- Fiber Basics
- Transmission Characteristics of Fiber
- Optical Cables
- OSP Optical Cable Construction
- Cable Preparation
- Splices and Connectors
- Optical Testing
- Fiber Restoration Techniques
- Fiber Design and Application
- Optical Power Budgets
- Advanced Network Applications
Steve Harris, SCTE Sr. Director of Advanced Network Technologies
Requirements for Successful Course Completion
- Completion of Course Feedback Form
- Assessments with a passing grade of 70%
- Final exam with a passing grade of 70%
Upon Successful Course Completion You Will Receive
- SCTE Course Certificate
- College credits when registered with an SCTE college partnership
- 3 Recertification Units (RUs) toward SCTE certification renewal
Cancellations and Extensions
- All cancellation requests must be received by midnight of the 7th day after the course begins and must be in writing or email. All cancellations are subject to a $75 cancellation fee, plus $119 fee for textbook if applicable.
- Students may request a 3-week extension with an extension fee of $70.
- Individuals who fail the course's final test two times will need to request a Retesting Exception and pay the Retesting Fee of $80. The Retesting Fee includes up to a 3 week course extension from the date of the request, allowing learners to prepare and retake the course final an additional two times. The final test must be completed before the course enrollment or extension ends.
Save $ by bundling the course and certification exam.
Broadband Transport Specialist (BTS)
(includes Course and Exam