The Understanding Cybersecurity course explores the field of cybersecurity, data confidentiality, best practices for using the Internet and social media safely. The course steps learners through security aspects in a broad, easy to understand way, explaining the value of securing data, both personal and business related.
Cybersecurity is important because the Internet is now part of our everyday lives and is an excellent resource for connecting and sharing information. However, all this cyber exposure leads way to unseen threats. Having your broadband customers staying safe on the Internet needs to be an important concern, as many of us have much to lose if caution is not exercised while on the Internet.
Format: Online, Self-Paced Scheduled:
This course is expected to take 15 hours to complete online as learners view online interactive materials and complete learning quizzes at a time that is convenient for the learner. Additionally, the course has been updated with interactivity, multimedia and instructional format, which leverages the same graphical user interface (GUI) as in the CCNA Routing and Switching curriculum.
Below are some of highlights for what can be found in the course:
- Interactive content with easy to use graphical user interface
- Links to articles and websites helping you explore cybersecurity on your own
- Resources, Labs and Activities to reinforce learning
- Assessments include end of module quizzes and a final exam
- High speed Internet (HSI) connection
- Updated Internet Browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer)
The target audience is anyone who desires a practical introduction to the field of secure networking. This includes field technicians, headend technicians, network operations center (NOC) staff, network engineers, network administrators, and IT help-desk staff.
The successful completion of this course requires the following:
- Reading Age Level (RAL) of 13
- Basic computer literacy and awareness of the Internet
- Prior experience with computer hardware, binary math, and basic electronics
- Learn the need for, and the importance of, Cybersecurity.
- Explore personal device concerns, data protection needs and security vulnerabilities
- Recognize the characteristics and operation of a cyberattack.
- Interpret the trends in the cyber threat landscape.
- Learn how to safe guard your online privacy against cyber threats, attacks, and the impact they may have
- Learn techniques to protect organizations from cyberattacks.
- Recognize the behavior-based approach to cybersecurity.
- Explain Cisco’s approach to cybersecurity.
- Learn some of the legal and ethical issues pertaining to cybersecurity
- The Need for Cybersecurity
- Attacks, Concepts and Techniques
- Protecting Your Data and Privacy
- Protecting the Organization
- Will Cybersecurity be in your future?
Chapter 1: The Need for Cybersecurity
- What your online identity and data is, where it is, and why it is of interest to cyber criminals.
- What organizational data is, and why it must be protected.
- What cyber warfare is and why organizations, nations, and governments need cybersecurity professionals to protect their citizens and infrastructure.
- Define personal dat.
- Explain the characteristics and value of personal data.
- Explain the characteristics and value of data within an organization.
- Describe the impact of security breach.
- Describe the characteristics and motives of an attacker.
- Describe the legal and ethical issues facing a cybersecurity professional.
- Explain the characteristics and purpose of cyberwarfare.
Lab – Compare Data with a Hash
Lab – What was Taken?
Chapter 1: Terms and Concepts Practices
Chapter 1 Quiz
Chapter 2: Attacks, Concepts and Techniques
- Security vulnerabilities and the different types of vulnerabilities and malware.
- The techniques used by attackers to infiltrate a system.
- The characteristics and operation of a cyberattack.
- The trends in the cyber threat landscape.
- Identify examples of security vulnerabilities.
- Explain how a security vulnerability is exploited.
- Describe types of malware and their symptoms, methods of infiltration, methods used to deny service.
- Describe a blended attack and the importance of impact reduction
Chapter 2: Terms and Concepts Practices
Chapter 2 Quiz
Chapter 3: Protecting Your Data and Privacy
- Tips for protecting your personal devices and data by creating strong passwords and using wireless networks safely.
- Authentication techniques helping you maintain your data securely with tips about what to do and what not to do online.
- Protecting devices from threats.
- Safeguarding your privacy
- Explain how to protect your devices and network from threats.
- Describe safe procedures for data maintenance.
- Explain how to safeguard your privacy by using strong authentication methods and practicing safe online behaviors.
Lab – Create and Store Strong Passwords
Lab – Backup Data to External Storage
Lab – Who Owns Your Data?
Lab – Discover Your Own Risky Online Behavior
Chapter 3: Terms and Concepts Practices
Chapter 3 Quiz
Chapter 4: Protecting the Organization
- Equipment, data, and the commonly used security terms such as botnets, the kill chain, and behavior based security.
- Cisco’s approach to cybersecurity using a Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT) team and a security playbook.
- Techniques for protecting organizations from cyber-attacks.
- The behavior-based approach to cybersecurity.
- Cisco’s approach to cybersecurity
- Describe the various types of firewalls and security appliances.
- Describe different methods of detecting malware and attacks in real time.
- Describe security best practices for organizations.
- Define botnet, kill chain, and behavior-based security.
- Explain how Netflow can help defend against cyberattacks.
- Identify the function of CSIRT within Cisco.
- Explain the purpose of a security playbook.
- Identify tools used for incident prevention and detection.
- Define IDS and IPS.
Chapter 4: Terms and Concepts Practices
Chapter 4: Activities
Chapter 4 Quiz
Chapter 5: Will Your Future Be in Cybersecurity
- Certification Opportunities
- Cybersecurity Jobs
Final Exam: Introduction to Cybersecurity 2.0 End of Course Assessment
End of Course Survey