SCTE∙ISBE Compliance Information
2018 Compliance and Awards Matrix
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has deemed the Society of Cable
Telecommunications Engineers exempt from federal taxes under Section 501(c)(6)
of the Code of Federal Regulations. Through the partnership agreement with
SCTE∙ISBE, its chapters and meeting groups also enjoy this tax-exempt status.
All SCTE∙ISBE US Chapters share the same tax ID code as the national
organization. Each chapter also has a set of Bylaws that governs their group.
These Bylaws are made in accordance to the SCTE∙ISBE Bylaws to ensure that the
entire organization, including chapters, is poised to carry out the SCTE∙ISBE
In order to function properly (as the chapters are set up in
their Bylaws) and within the US tax structure, the following items are required
in order to remain as a chapter in "good standing" or "compliance". Chapters
that do not submit required items may be placed on
- Board Meetings
- All chapters are required to meet at least four (4) times per year. In order to count as one of the four meetings:
- There must be quorum present (at least 50% of the board members; associate board members do not count toward quorum).
- The secretary must submit meeting minutes after the meeting.
- The minutes must include a treasurer’s report
- The board must discuss at least two items of business.
- Record any motions or actions taken by the board, such as approving expenses or appointing board members.
- All chapters must submit their financial reports and a copy of the
bank statements within 30 days of the close of the Quarter (April, July,
- Each year, the board of directors shall appoint a
financial review committee of 3 members, two of whom shall be a
member of the elected board but not an officer of the board, whose duty
it shall be to review the financial information of the chapter. The
third committee member can be an associate member or an SCTE∙ISBE member
affiliated with the chapter. They shall review the budget, all bank
statements and financial reports for the past 12 months and prepare a
final report for the chapter documenting any issues they may find during
the process. An elected board member shall serve as the committee
Bank Signature Cards
- At least one SCTE staff member (vice president of finance or senior
director of chapters and membership) must be a signer on every chapter’s
bank account. SCTE∙ISBE must receive a
list of all signers on the bank accounts annually. If a new account
is opened, SCTE∙ISBE must be sent a copy of the signature card to
complete. If no changes are made, an email must be sent to the Chapter
Support Department by January 30 stating that the card had been reviewed
and no changes were made.
- Each chapter board should read and review its Bylaws annually. This
should be done to ensure that the chapter governs themselves as they are
supposed to. If there are no changes necessary, the
Bylaws Review Form should be sent to the Chapter Support Department
indicating that the chapter has reviewed its Bylaws and there are no
changes. If changes are needed, a
Bylaws Change Request form should be sent to the Chapter Support
Department and will be presented to the SCTE∙ISBE Chapter Support
Committee for approval.
- The chapter board must be elected annually by the chapter membership
in accordance with the chapter bylaws. Election timeline, call for
nominations, candidates and
election results are required to be submitted to the Chapter
- According to the Bylaws, chapter boards must meet at certain
intervals. At a minimum, chapter boards must meet with a quorum four
times per year. A copy of the meeting minutes must be sent to the
Chapter Support Department to verify that the meetings took place.
- SCTE∙ISBE Membership: Every individual serving on a chapter board
must be a current SCTE∙ISBE member. Chapters must send a list of all
their board members with contact information to the Chapter Support
Department by January 31 of each year. Chapter Support will then review
and let the chapters know if any individuals are not current on their
memberships. Those individuals must renew their memberships within 30
days of notification or be removed from the chapter board.
- All chapter leaders must complete the
Conflict of Interest/Non-Disclosure Agreement form to serve.
- All chapters must offer 30 hours of technical training to maintain
their chapter status. Trainings should be held at least once per
quarter. The meeting report form and
attendance sheets must be sent in their entirety to the Chapter Support
Department to receive credit for the hours.
Conflict of Interest/Non-Disclosure Agreement
- All chapter leaders, including officers, board members and associate board members, are required to complete the Conflict of Interest/Non-Disclosure Agreement each year. If you have questions or concerns about the form, please contact the chapter relations team.